KARYN'S KOCONUT CAKE
Serving Size : 16
2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups unbleached flour, plus extra for dusting
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup oil
1 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon vanilla extract grated peel of 1/2 lemon
nonstick cooking spray
1 1/3 cups milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
6 egg yolks
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 pound mascarpone cheese OR cream cheese
2 cups whipping cream -- whipped
3 cups sweet flake coconut
1. Beat eggs and sugar in mixer at high speed until pale and frothy. Turn off mixer and add flour, baking powder, salt, oil, wine, vanilla and lemon peel. Beat 2 minutes at high speed. Divide batter between 2 (9-inch) layer cake pans that have been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and dusted inside with extra flour.
2. Bake at 350 degrees until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on rack 5 minutes. Turn out and cool completely.
3. Heat milk and vanilla to boil and keep hot. Beat sugar and egg yolks in mixer until fluffy and pale in color. Reduce speed, add cornstarch and beat until blended. Add hot milk, beating continuously.
4. When well blended, return to saucepan and heat slowly, stirring constantly to keep mixture from sticking to bottom of pan. Cook until very thick. Pour into bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside to cool.
5. When completely cooled, combine cream mixture with mascarpone cheese to form thick filling. Spread all of pastry cream in thick, even layer on bottom cake layer. Cover with top cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with whipped cream and cover with Coconut.
**It is more convenient to make the pastry cream the day before so it will be completely cooled and ready to fill the cake
2021 INTERNATIONAL COCONUT CORPORATION - 225 WEST GRAND STREET (PO BOX 3326), ELIZABETH, NEW JERSEY 07207-3326 - (908) 289-1555 (908) 289-1556FAX